Nominations Now Open for SAFE Board Positions
The SAFE Governance Committee is seeking nominations for three board member positions. Each position is for a 3-year term to begin at the end of July 2017. New Board members are seated at the Annual Members Meeting to be held during AirVenture 2017 in Oshkosh, WI.
You may nominate yourself, or someone else, provided your nominee is agreeable to run for the specified term and meets the requirements listed below. The prospective candidate should provide no more than a two page resume highlighting any non-profit or other Board experience, fundraising or marketing experience, or other personal experience or expertise that would qualify him or her for serious consideration as a Board candidate, including participation activities, awards, or recognitions received in the aviation industry. All nominees must be current SAFE members.
In addition to providing the resume described above, the candidate must also provide written answers to the following three questions.
- Why do you want to serve on the SAFE Board of Directors?
- How will your aviation and professional background, special talents, and leadership skills help to further SAFE’s mission and goals? Please be specific.
- What do you see as the most pressing concerns and/or tasks for SAFE and for SAFE’s Board of Directors in the next 3 years based on SAFE’s current mission and vision Statements.
Please type the question and then type your answer. Type your name in the top left corner of the page. Excluding the three questions, your total word count for the entire “question and answer” statement should not exceed 250 words.
Please submit your resume AND typed “question and answer” statement as an MS Word document using a 12 point font to Sherry Rossiter, SAFE Nominating Committee Chair, no later than midnight EST on February 28, 2017. Please include the words “SAFE Nominating Committee” in the subject line of your email. Sherry’s email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email or call her at 406-544-6182.
Below is a summary of the function, duties, and responsibilities of SAFE Board Members.
As elected representatives of the membership, the SAFE Board of Directors has ultimate responsibility for managing, monitoring, and/or overseeing the business operations of the organization as described in the Bylaws and in state and federal regulations pertaining to tax exempt, non-profit corporations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Assure the implementation of SAFE’s vision and mission statements and review management’s performance in advancing SAFE’s vision and mission.
- Engage in periodic planning, both strategic and practical.
- Approve major policies, programs, and/or projects.
- Annually review and approve an operating budget and funding strategies.
- Hire, monitor, appraise, advise, motivate, support, reward, and if deemed necessary or desirable, terminate employees or independent contractors who are not meeting performance expectations.
- Annually initiate and approve the performance review of the Executive Director.
- Provide and approve an annual slate of director nominees for election by the general membership.
- Appoint at least one Board member to be a liaison to each standing and/or ad hoc committee.
- Approve each standing and/or ad hoc committee’s operating charter on an annual basis.
- Review, as necessary, the effectiveness of SAFE’s standing and ad hoc committees.
- Review and confirm that SAFE’s financial structure is adequate for its current needs and long-range strategy.
- Approve major actions of the organization, such as capital expenditures on all projects over authorized limits and major changes in programs and services.
- Confirm that published reports, financial and otherwise, reflect the current condition and philosophy of the organization.
- Attend SAFE’s Annual Membership Meeting held in conjunction with EAA’s AirVenture held in Oshkosh, Wisconsin at the end of July.